Saturday, December 15, 2007
My trip to temple
The religion that I researched was Orthodox Judaism. I decided to attend a session at the Hebrew Institute of White Plains. It was a very interesting experience. I was under the impression that it would be a lot of reading from the bible, however it felt almost as if it was a small get together where people expressed their concerns and beliefs. Everyone was very formal in the manner in which they greated me. As I looked around, I noticed that the majority of the people there were of older ages. There were some young adults there, but for the most part it was older adults. The session that I attended had to do with the subject "Living in fear: How to cope in an unsafe world." In this service, Rabbi Chaim Marder explained the issues facing individuals today. It had to do with drugs, violence, and the negative things people do or involve in their lives. Although it seemed like a conversation that has been repeated multiple times, Rabbi Marder made it more interesting by linking the dillemmas to situations that affect us interpersonally. I broadened my view of the religion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Which type of service were you attending- a Shabbat service, a daily service, or a youth service? And what were the other components of the service other than the rabbi's talk?
Nice to meet you good luck
Post a Comment