Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Interview with the Rabbi

After attending the service, I was able to contact Arlene Nelson whom made an appointment for me to meet with Rabbi Marder. Approaching our conversation, I thanked him for allowing me to observe his way of service and for allowing a stranger in his space. Unfortunately, I met with the Rabbi on his scheduled game of Bridge. So I was only able to take up so much of his time. I figured that I would jump the gun and make my first questions one the most important:

What are the differences between Orthodox Judaism and that of a Conservative approach?
"When people hear titles before religions, they automatically think that there are vast differences. In reality, Judaism is Judaism. The way in which you interpret it is what creates a difference. The ideas and interpretations are wat build a barrier between the two view points. We are more literal with the words in the Torah."

How do you feel about having a limited eating menu?
"That is a funny question. My wife does not believe that I limit my menu being that I have some extra baggage. There is not really much of a limitation on food. It is that we choose to eat foods which are more sanctioned and worthy of eating. We eat food (kosher food) that has been prepared properly and cleansed so that our body's indulge on the many nutritional support it creates."

Are there gender issues that cause separation, such as in Islam?
"Women are more than welcome in the temple. As a matter of fact without them there would be no Rabbi's. However, women and men do have different responsibities. God bestowed them with specific duties in life. Women can not become practicing Rabbi's. Although society has changed their view of women, in the temple we specify the manner in which we practice our religion.

No comments: